Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

sulky pose

Issa 一茶1815 age 52

妹が子やくねた形りでよぶ忖

imo ga ko ya jikuneta nari de yobu hotaru

David’s English

my child strikes
a sulky pose
calling fireflies

The phrase, imo ga ko ("sister's child") means, in literary usage, "my wife's child," ergo, "my child." (Shinji Ogawa). Issa was newly married when he wrote this poem but still without children. Perhaps he is looking ahead with optimism, imagining that the child in the scene is his own.

http://cat.xula.edu/issa/

sakuo haiga

6 comments:

Devika Jyothi said...

Very nice, Sakuo san :)

wishes,
devika

Gillena Cox said...

the scene recorded is mundane, a 'sullen child' yet the genre of haiku raises it to a level of phenomenon; loved your complimenting haiga

much love
gillena

Magyar said...

... he sulks, the fireflies wont answer his call.

__Your work shows his sorrow at their "silence."

Unknown said...

Thank you Devika san,
I am delightful to see your comment.

sakuo.

Unknown said...

Gillena san,

Your compliment make me pleased very much.
Thank you a lot!!

sakuo.

Unknown said...

Magyar san,
Woo!! you made beautiful poetic image on my
work.
arigatou for sharing.

sakuo.