Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

peony

Issa 一茶 1818

盃をちよいと置たるぼたん哉
sakazuki wo choi to okitaru botan kana

David’s English

I lay my sake cup
on top for a moment...
peony
http://cat.xula.edu/issa/

Sakuo’s supposition

At the moment, Issa was staying in Naganuma where many his students were gathered. Note; Naganuma is 20 kilo meters far from Issa’s village.

Among them there was Mr. Nabuti Sato who loved poem, painting, and gardening. Especially he was an expert of chrysanthemum and peony.

Nabuti’s haiku.
我庵を狭しと牡丹咲きにけり
waga iho wo semasi botan sakini keri

my hut garden
is narrowed by
blooming peonies

Issa was enjoying party with his familiar haiku friends in Naganuma, watching Nabuti’s peony.

And sakuo’s haiga.

peony

2 comments:

John McDonald said...

I liked this very much sakuo san
john

Unknown said...

Thank you John san,
This is one of my favorite Issa.

sakuo